Home
Home Neighborhood History
Home
Home Home
 
Medlock Place Historic District

A man is relieved and gay when he has put his heart into his work and done his best; but what he has said or done otherwise shall give him no peace.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

  Introduction to Medlock Place Historic District  
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
 

 

Years of research has begun to tell the tale of our neighborhood's beginnings and of its development over the intervening century. These pages reveal some of that history: historical narratives, reports, charts, newspaper articles, photos, and period advertisements.

Medlock Place Historic District

The historical significance of our neighborhood and the preserved condition the majority of the single family homes in Medlock Place has been recognized by the United States Department of the Interior's National National Park Service Register of HistoricPlaces.

Thanks to the foresight and determination of Kerry Moss and the Medlock Place Neighborhood Association Historic Committee (Bobbie Chinsky, Jon Douglas, David Clark, and Douglas Harter) the Medlock Place Historic District is a reality. This means that further commercial encroachment has been halted, many of our homes now qualify for reduced property taxes, matching fund grants are available to qualifying homes for exterior rehabilitation, and our area property values are enhanced.


A couple of years before Floyd W. Medlock was born...

"J. M. Evans platted the Evan's Addition to Orangewood in 1897. Directly south of the Orangewood Subdivision, Bethany Home Road bounded the north side of Evan's Addition, Camelback Road to the south, and 7th Street and 7th Avenue to the east and west, respectively. These twenty-acre lots were divided evenly over four blocks; each block contained twenty lots. Following conventions of the day, developers like Evans invested their time and money in subdividing the lots and providing basic services to the area (graded roads and minimal utilities) and individual buyers contracted architects and builders to construct their homes. While demand for land was high, construction generally lagged behind lot development."

From the Medlock Place
Report to the National Register of Historic Places

 
 
Do you have historical pictures of Medlock Place or the Central & Camelback area?

A story to tell?
Share the memories.
Contact
the publisher.
 
 

Conceived during the "Roaring 20's," Medlock Place breaks ground and some rules.
When the north most limits of Phoenix were still defined by McDowell Road, Floyd Medlock developed a "restricted district, [with] city conveniences, low electricity rates, [and] wide graveled streets."
» More
  Floyd W. Medlock
72% of area homes contributed to our designation as an historic district.
Was yours one of them? Preliminary results are in and we have them.
» More
1926 front page story announces the formal opening of Medlock Place.
"...motor out North Central avenue today to visit Medlock Place, a new high-class subdivision..."
» More
In three-quarters of a century, a few things about living in our neighborhood don't seem to have changed.
"Medlock sold the best of both worlds to his buyers, offering 'city conveniences with country delights' and lots nearly three times the size of an average city lot."
» More
"Here Is Your Chance to Be in a Real Moving Picture"
"The Imperial Film Corporation of Hollywood, California is going to make a moving picture of this fastest growing home district of Phoenix. Medlock Place..."
» More